Perhaps it’s my inexperience with CentOS, but things did not go well when I tried to install and configure it on my new home server.
First, a few words about the hardware as they came into play. I’m using an Intel D201GLY motherboard that comes with a Celeron 215 (1.3GHz, 64-bit) processor and a SiS chip set. Note that this board uses IDE drives while the D201GLY2 uses SATA and has a Celeron 220 running at 1.2GHz. In addition, I have the maximum of 1GB of RAM installed, a no name DVD/CD-RW drive, and a 160GB Seagate.
The smoke test went well and all the hardware seems to be operational.
But from the beginning, the CentOS install did not work out as well. First, there was problems with the video. The resolution did not match anything my old MAG DX17F monitor could handle. Hence, the image did not fill the screen and white “snow” like flakes filled parts of the screen. No matter what I tried to do, via the desktop GUI, nothing solved the problem.
Secondly, although the install has several pre-configured packages to choose from, choosing certain ones didn’t seem to make a difference on what the desktop looked like. For example, I chose the KDE package over the Gnome. But when the installation
completed, the Gnome desktop was displayed (or at least what looked to me like a Gnome desktop). Just for kicks, I re-did the install but chose the Gnome desktop and sure enough, it looked just like the KDE install. The only difference seems to be some, but not all, of the applications.
Then it came time to configure Apache, MySQL, and PHP. But even though I installed the server and server GUI packages, I could not find any GUI-based programs to configure and initiate any of the three mentioned. I suppose I could have gone to the
command line but that’s not what I was expecting.
Then there were the problems with the OS just locking up. There wasn’t anything consistent and I don’t know what the cause(s) was, but it happened several times.
So, as an interim solution, I installed Kubuntu over CentOS (I had to delete the CentOS partitions first because something about them kept Kubuntu from installing, even though Kubuntu was supposed to format the drive first). At least now I have a stable installation and everything, including the video, seems to be working.
So, this is where things stand. I will see what I can do with Kubuntu but if that doesn’t work, I’ll need to try something else.